Wednesday 10 October 2018

The Ordinary Marula Oil and Rosehip Oil Review

 


Price:
Marula oil - £6.75
Rosehip oil - £7.50

If the transitioning weather takes a toll on your skin too, you should read further.


The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Marula Oil

From the website

Referred to as a "luxury" oil by some, this antioxidant-rich oil is obtained from the kernels of the fruits of Marula tree. It's mostly composed of oleic acid and linoleic acid but also contains procyanidin, catechins and flavanoids. Marula oil offers antioxidants, hydrates the skin and is claimed to help restore a radiant tone. This formula contains only cold-pressed virgin African Marula oil that is 100% unrefined.

My take!

Not exactly my claims, but let’s talk about my experience now. My combination to dry skin starts throwing major tantrums twice a year – Sept-Oct and March-April. I have to really calm it down and be as gentle as possible while dealing with it.

The Ordinary Marula Oil is something that has made my ordeal quite easy! It’s soothing, absorbs quickly, does not clog pores, and is very moisturizing. It’s an amazing face oil for the chilly winters specially if you have very dry skin. I do not recommend this for any other weather.

But this is one of the most calming oils I have ever used. Also, it feels great to use a product which is in its purest form and doesn’t aggravate your seasonal skin issues. So, a big thumbs-up if you have sensitive skin. It’s a nourishing oil and absorbs really well without just sitting on your face with a greasy layer and accumulating all the dust! If you happen to live in a place with harsh winters, I highly recommend the Ordinary Marula Oil. You may think that it’s just a one-ingredient oil, so what difference will it make, but I feel it’s more like a package deal – Apply the oil, seal it with some good emollient and you are good to go. It has become my winter morning staple.

This oil has actually simplified my winter skincare routine, as I am not using a lot of products now to keep my skin moisturized.

And the price…I don’t know why Indian companies can’t deliver such great products at such an affordable price. The UV-protected glass bottle is another plus.

Now a couple of things that bother me – one, it freezes a little in extremely cold weather! Yes, it does and it becomes very difficult to bring out the oil from the dropper. Two, its availability in India is an issue. I get my products from CultBeauty, and the whole delivery process is quick and easy, but I know not everybody would like to place orders on a UK website.

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil

From the website

This formulation uses 100% pure Rosehip Seed Oil that is both cold-pressed and organic. Rosehip Seed Oil is rich in linoleic acid, linolenic acid and pro-vitamin A, all of which degrade when the oil extraction process involves heat. While cold-pressed extraction is complex, it preserves all of the quality of this important oil which supports healthy skin and can help reduce signs of photo-aging. 

Our Rose Hip Seed Oil is completely unrefined and imparts a natural scent partly due to its high omega fatty acid content. This scent is not an indication of rancidity. Rose Hip Seed Oil that does not have a scent is refined and offers reduced benefits.

My take!

Now coming to the Rosehip Oil, this is another star product from the Ordinary. I use it on its own or add this to other creams and toners. It’s a little on the heavier side when it comes to absorption, but I have to say that it is way better than the Juicy Chemistry Rosehip Oil that I have used in the past. That oil turned rancid so quickly, I was afraid I had actually ruined my skin by diligently using it! The Ordinary Rosehip Oil has definitely a longer shelf life, may be because of the UV packaging. Rosehip oil is considered nature’s retinol, so it’s an effective anti-aging oil. It also works against acne and hyperpigmentation. I usually use it at nighttime as the last step. It takes its time to show any visible results, but skin definitely looks healthier with continuous usage.


Long story short, if you are thinking about buying facial oils, start with the Ordinary. I don't use these in summers. My personal favourite is Marula!

For very dry, dehydrated winter months: Marula oil

For dehydrated, congested skin (not for humid summers, for oily skin people): Rosehip oil

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?