Sunday 14 September 2014

Blooming Phulkari (Part III)


This is the last post in this three-part series. While writing about phulkari, I got to know about many things I was not aware of, the technicalities, the places involved, and most importantly, the long-forgotten traditions. I really feel enriched now! 

I got to know about phulkari 4-5 years back, when I went to a Handloom Expo held every year in Dehradun. Standing at the Punjab pavilion, I was looking at the salwar-suits, when suddenly a bright dupatta caught my attention. I asked and the answer was "bagh phulkari." At that time I had no clue what bagh was but I had to buy it. But it was exorbitantly priced! So instead I bought fabric for a salwar-suit, with some work on the kurta. I was happpppy!
I wanted phulkari to be a part of my pre-wedding functions. Why? Because I am married into a Punjabi family (they have absolutely no connection left with Punjab, except for the language, so I knew I was not getting any bagh!). But I couldn't manage to get one.
My husband knowing my fondness got a dupatta for me from Amritsar. I am happpppy, again!!

Now coming back to this post, here we'll see the magic of phulkari, how it transforms something so dull and boring to fun and electric!

Uses galore! 


Bags and clutches


Price: Rs 8750 (ouch!) 
Available at Indian Roots 
An awesome shoulder bag, my fav :)
Price: Rs 8350
Available at Indian Roots

 A lovely clutch. Price: Rs 6200 at Indian Roots


An i-pad bag available at Indiebazaar for Rs 1800




Mobile pouch available at Indiebazaar and coin purse for Rs 490 available here


Price: Rs 1850
Available here















Jackets and waistcoats


THIS CAN BE A TONGUE TWISTER!


Price: Rs 1350 (usually discounted)
Available in many other colors at Jabong






















Orange tunic with phulkari jacket
Price: Rs 6800
Available here




















I saw this jacket on Etsy.com; sold out but worth including here



Asees is a 2-year-old brand by Aakriti Ahuja and has three labels under the umbrella: 
The 2nd Piece (for jackets)
Home (home linen)
InBorn (maternity wear) 

The following pieces are from The 2nd Piece:








 Check out their Facebook page here for product inquiries




Biker jacket
Price: Rs 4450
Available at Talking Threads 
Talking Threads has a huge range of phulkari.  



















Punjabi juttiyan


Price: Rs 1900 

Price: Rs 750























Saree


Price: Rs 8450
Shop the collection here






















Dupatta and salwaar-kameez



Price: Rs 3000







Price: Rs 2500
See the collection here






















Drape dresses


By Payal Pratap


By Payal Pratap


Home decor


Bedsheet for Rs 6500






















By Asees again











Set of 5 available at Handlooms of India for Rs 950























Phulkari Embroidered Chevron Cushion Cover for $59.00 





















Available at Houzz
for $49




Pillow cover available at Maison Suzanne Gallery





















Tissue box available here and wine bag here




Beauuuutiful sagan envelopes available here 














 Coasters available at Indiebazaar
Price: Rs 500



Coasters for Rs 1300 at Craftswilla


















Phulkari pattern borders!
Here






















Kites


Yes you heard it right! Kites!
I would rather hang it on my wall :)
Price: Rs 1169 (10% discount going on)
Available here



















Theme weddings


FROM WEDDINGONLINE.IN





Phew! I just want to add one more thing here. Except for the designer wear, everything is much cheaper (few Indiebazaar items, too expensive!), if you buy it directly from the people behind the craft, the kaarigars. Just hone your bargaining skills! One can go to handloom expos, craft bazaars, or if possible, or if you want to see the craft in its most authentic form, go to Patiala or Amritsar in Punjab.
Janpath, CP, New Delhi, has some good stores. One of them is 1469. Visit for a great collection. Currently, they have a 10% discount on online buys.



OK, this ends our phulkari journey. Do get at least one piece of this art. It's a legacy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?