Thursday 25 September 2014

Narangi & Nagkesar Facial Ubtan (A Review)



Forest Essentials (FE) is an addiction. Believe me. You use it once and you can't go back! Narangi & Nagkesar Ubtan was the first product that I ever tried from their range of heavenly products. I could never understand the hoopla around the brand then and so I had to try it myself.



What are ubtans?

Ubtans are made of blended mixtures of dried herbs, flowers, roots, oils, etc. which are ground into a powder to be used as body and face scrubs. The ground powder is mixed with water, milk or anything that suits you to make a paste and is used for exfoliation; the paste is actually the ubtan. 
I believe most Indians are familiar with the term. I don't know about other places, but in North India almost every wedding has this haldi ubtan (haldi = turmeric) ritual. 

There are a number of recipes for ubtans depending on one's skin type and needs. You can make your own at home with the right ingredients.

In my teen years, I only used homemade ubtans for face cleansing, as nothing else suited me then. I was in a battle with pimples and the ubtans and face packs were my only solution. I hated using ubtans then, the whole mess of preparing everything from the scratch, I never liked it. But thank God I used all that then as now I get compliments for the same skin! :) As soon as the pimple phase was over, I stopped using ubtans!


OK coming back to FE, I wasn't really sure about it so wanted to test something costing me the least. So the lipbalm was there but I wanted something for my skin.



Review


Price: Rs 695; Rs 595 (when I bought)
Qt: 60 g  


About the product (on the website)



Neem leaves are antiseptic and purifying for the skin. 
Finely ground Narangi Peel helps to remove tan and brighten the skin tone. Marigold or Calendula has a high content of flavonoids that act as anti-oxidants in the body. 
Mulethi contains several antioxidant compounds which instantly rejuvenate and revitalize dry dehydrated and mature skin. 
Nagkesar has skin retexturising, toning and firming properties. Bala smoothes rough skin texture. 
Khas is antiseptic, detoxifying and cooling. 
Vidarikand increases the moisture level of skin and helps to maintain natural hydration. Ashwagandha stimulates the immune system and has anti-ageing, anti-oxidant properties in ancient Ayurvedic texts. 
Durva is a very effective complexion enhancer. 
Brahmi stimulates cell regeneration. 
Anantmool is very effective for acne and pigmentation; it evens skin tone and smoothes texture. 
Camphor is purifying, cooling and clarifying.  

Product benefits

Forest Essentials Narangi and Nagkesar is a powerful exfoliating treatment that stimulates the underlying tissues of the skin. By its revitalizing, refreshing & refining actions, this 'Ubtan' helps in the natural glow of the complexion. It protects the skin from Acne and Blemishes. Its regular usage prevents the occurrence of premature fine lines and firms and tones the skin. 

Ingredients

Narangi Peel 28%, Marigold Leaves 14%, Mulethi 10%, Powder 8%, Nagkesar 7.5%, Bala 6%, Brihati 6%, Khas 6%, Vidari Kand 5%, Ashwagandha 3%, Durva 2%, Neem Sweet Orange 2%, Brahmi 1%, Anantmool 1%, Camphor 0.5%

How I use

I take a teaspoon full in a bowl, add rose water/water (summers) or milk (winters) and apply it on my wet face. After scrubbing gently for a minute, I rinse off. Done!

OK FE says it can be used like a daily cleanser. But I use it weekly for scrubbing.

What I like

1. It is a mild scrub. I am using the word scrub again and again because I use it as one. It is not abrasive for my sensitive skin. In the paste form, one can feel the granules but they are not at all sharp.

2. It does not dry out the skin. Till last month, when it was really humid, I used to add water to make a paste. In winters, I usually switch to milk, and it is much smoother.

2. It actually brightens the skin, removes the tan perfectly. I even use it on my hands and each time I am completely amazed by how wonderfully it works.

4. The packaging is really good. You have a rubber cap inside the screw lid. I really like if a product comes with a double lid. I have this stupid belief that every time I open a jar, the product loses some of its essence, when it comes in contact with the air!



What I don't like

1. The fragrance, well everyone loves it. I don't because it just doesn't get out of my head or should I say nose!

Final verdict

My long-lost love for ayurvedic and natural skincare came back with Forest Essentials. If you haven't tried FE yet, start with the ubtans. They have a range for each skin type. You won't be disappointed :)


Buy from Jabong, Forest Essentials, Flipkart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?